It’s the season where there’s always a little bit of overindulgence. But don’t worry, we’ve got some great festive recipes you can make that include all the healthy proteins like eggs, chicken and salmon, so you’re always fuelled for your holiday workouts at Curves.
Winter Herb and Lemon Roast Chicken
- 1 dessertspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Prep: 15min Cook: 1hr 30min Ready in: 1hr 45min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Combine the seasoning, salt, mustard powder, garlic salt and black pepper; set aside.
- Squeeze the juice of the 2 lemons into a small bowl or cup, and mix with the olive oil and the spice mixture.
- Place chicken in a baking dish. Coat the chicken inside and out with the mixture, and drizzle the any remaining mixture over the chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until juices run clear, basting several times with the juices.
Chicken and Egg Noodle Winter Warmer Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1cm piece root ginger, minced
- 1/2 small red chilli, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 300g leftover cooked chicken
- 1L chicken stock
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 100g egg noodles
- chopped fresh chives
Prep: 10min Cook: 35min Ready in: 45min
- In a frying pan over a medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion, garlic, ginger and the chilli if you want a bit of heat, cook and stir for 4 minutes until soft, but not brown. Season well.
- In a saucepan over a medium heat, combine the contents of the frying pan with the chicken and the stock and simmer gently for 25 minutes. Add the carrots and noodles and cook for 6 minutes until the noodles are soft. Transfer to four serving bowls and top with fresh chives.
Baked Eggs With Smoked Salmon
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 to 3 slices smoked salmon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch chopped fresh dill
Prep: 5min Cook: 12min Ready in: 17min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Spoon the creme fraiche into a ramekin. It should fill up at least one third of the ramekin, but no more than half, otherwise it will overflow when you add the salmon and egg.
- Add 2 or 3 slices of smoked salmon. Pour the egg white into the ramekin with the creme fraiche. Reserve the yolk for later. Season with salt (not too much as the salmon is quite salty already) and pepper.
- Bake for about 10 minutes in a water bath (make sure the water reaches half the height of the ramekin), until the egg whites are just set.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and carefully place the egg yolk in the ramekin; sprinkle with dill and bake again for an additional 1 or 2 minutes. You want the yolk to be hot but still very runny. Remove from the oven and enjoy immediately with soldiers for dipping.