Staying Healthy During the Winter Months
At Curves, we know how difficult it can be to maintain a healthy lifestyle when the dark nights and mornings set in, not to mention the temptation to reach for that warming comfort food.
While it’s good to have a break every so often, we need to keep an eye on our health and fitness, not to mention our wellbeing – winter can leave us feeling down in the dumps and unmotivated.
Here are some of our top tips for sticking to your plan during the winter months
- Get outdoors - Even just for a walk, the small vitamin D boost can work wonders on your mood and mind.
- Increase your seafood intake - Oily fish like mackerel and sardines are full of healthy fats, they also help to boost your nutrient levels with a kick of omega 3.
- Eat a bit more fruit and veg - It’s always important to get your 5 a day, but even more so in winter. Vitamin C can help fend off coughs and colds, leaving you fighting fit coming into spring!
- Eat a balanced breakfast - A balanced breakfast like porridge is the perfect start to the day. The complex carbohydrate in oats helps to give you lots of energy whilst also stopping you from snacking throughout the day. You can also add a banana or berries for an extra dose of vitamins.
- Maintain clear goals - A lot of people struggle for general motivation at this time of year, it’s very normal! One good way to stay motivated is to consider the reasons you started your Curves journey, even writing them down and reading them when you don’t feel up to it can help put that spring back in your step.
- Exercise to de-stress - Increased stress levels can make you feel tired and lethargic, which in turn makes exercise less appealing. It is proven that exercise releases dopamine, a hormone that helps you to destress and in turn lift your mood. We’ve listed some more key benefits of winter exercise here.
- Get a good night’s sleep - It’s never easy waking up when it’s still dark outside but developing a good night time routine is key to making the most of recovery time and energising for the next day. A night of good sleep is as important as a balanced diet when maintaining a healthy lifestyle, find out more here.
Working out in a group of like-minded people is fantastic for motivation, a lot of people love Curves for the social aspect too!