Healthy Autumnal Pumpkin Recipes
Satisfy your Autumn cravings with our healthy and light pumpkin recipes, perfect to enjoy with zero guilt snuggled on the sofa. All three recipes are vegetarian and can be made vegan with some simple substitutes.
- 1 Pumpkin
- Cut the pumpkin into quarters, then peel and cut into chunks. Place in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Drain well and allow to cool. Then puree the flesh in a food processor or mash with a potato masher.
- Once pureed and kept in a suitable container, it can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, or deep freeze for 3 - 6 months
Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal
- 340g rolled oats
- 410ml of almond milk
- 60ml pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 170g chopped pecans
- 60ml maple syrup
- Combine oats and almond milk in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency is reached (about 3-5 minutes). Stir in pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg until heated through (about 1 minute).
- Serve immediately, garnish with pecans and maple syrup, if desired.
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- 120ml pure pumpkin puree
- 1 large banana
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 170g vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (can be bought at most supermarkets)
- 1 tsp agave nectar (or honey would work too), add more if you like it sweeter
- 3 Tbsp skimmed milk
- pinch nutmeg and whipped cream, optional garnish
- In a blender, combine the pumpkin, banana, ice, yoghurt, spice, agave nectar and milk.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream and a pinch of nutmeg!
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 236ml pumpkin puree
- 472ml skimmed milk
- 1 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 85g finely shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 lb. whole wheat linguine
- In a pan, melt butter in olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and stir until translucent. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Pour onion and garlic mixture into a blender. Add pumpkin, 300ml skimmed milk to start, ¾ tsp. salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon and cayenne. Blend until smooth. If too thick, continue adding the remaining milk until the consistency is as desired. Taste and add any extra salt or seasoning.
- Pour mixture back into the pan and heat over medium until bubbling. Cook until sauce is the thickness preferred. Add in the parmesan cheese and let it melt.
- Add in the cooked and drained pasta. Toss it in the sauce to coat. Serve with extra parmesan cheese. Enjoy!