5 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
After all the indulgence during the holidays, we're ready for some healthy warming winter meals to keep us going all January long. Creating a home-cooked meal does not need to be difficult and that's why we've created this list of 5 healthy slow cooker meals to show you just how easy it is. A home-cooked meal is not only healthy for you but it saves you eating a larger portion than you would with a takeaway, it saves you money and time by batch cooking large amounts and it allows you to have more time with your loved ones.
Get organised by planning all your meals and make life that little bit easier to stay on track this 2020 with these delicious healthy slow cooker recipes.
Slow Cooker Breakfasts Beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp white or red wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tbsp soft brown sugar
- 400g can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 200ml passata
- small bunch of coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic until the onions have started to brown. Add the sugar and vinegar and cook for a further minute. Add the beans, passata and season to taste.
- Add everything into the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours. If the sauce looks a little thin for your taste then increase the heat and cook out for a further 5 minutes. Add the coriander and serve.
Spiced Carrot and Lentil Soup
- 600g carrots, washed and grated
- 140g split red lentils
- 1 pinch of chili flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 700 ml of vegetable stock
- 125ml milk of choice
- Plain yogurt and naan bread to serve.
- Add half the cumin seeds, chili flakes, all of the oil, carrot, lentils and the vegetable stock into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 3 hours until the lentils are nice and tender
- Dry fry the remainder of both spices for 1 minute
- After the cooking, blend the soup to personal preference and stir in the milk.
- Top with the dry-fried spices and serve with warm naan bread.
Tasty Veggie Korma
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cardamom pods, bashed
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 green chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 thumb-size piece of ginger, finely chopped.
- 800 vegetables of choice (carrots, cauliflower, potato and courgette ,roughly chopped
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 200g frozen peas
- 200ml yogurt to serve
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook off the onions, cardamom pods, cumin, coriander and turmeric in a pan for 5-6 minutes.
- Then add the chili, garlic, and ginger and cook for a further minute
- Add into the slow cooker with vegetables and stock. Cook on low for 4 hours
- Add the peas and let stand for a further 5 minutes to allow them to cook
- Stir in yogurt, almonds, and seasoning before serving.
Vegan Slow Cooker Chilli
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin of black beans, drained
- 400g tin of kidney beans, drained
- lime wedges, guacamole, coriander and rice to serve.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Crush in the garlic, add the sweet potato and cook for a further minute.
- Add all the spices, oregano and tomato puree and cook for a further minute before adding into the slow cooker.
- Add the red pepper and tins of chopped tomatoes. Cook on low for 5 hours.
- Add the beans in after 5 hours and then cook for another hour.
- Season to taste and serve with lime wedges, guacamole, rice and coriander to serve.
Spiced Apples with barley
- 1/2 cup of barley
- 2 eating apples
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- A grating of fresh nutmeg
- The zest of 1 large orange
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- Add the barley and 750ml of boiling water to the slow cooker.
- Peel, core and cut the apples in half then add these skin side down on top of the barley
- Mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange then sprinkle over the apples
- Cook on low for 2 hours then serve with natural yogurt.