3 Healthy Packed Lunches
You might find yourself having to think about even more meals than normal with the kids at home, so here are 3 easy make-ahead packed lunches that will save you precious time!
Roasted Veggie Couscous Salad (399 Calories per serving)
Throw together this filling couscous salad for a quick vegetarian lunch.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, halved and deseeded
- ½ butternut squash
- 2 courgettes, thickly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, leave skin on
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 50g whole blanched almonds
- 250g couscous
- 300ml hot vegetable stock
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 20g pack mint, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cut peppers and squash into bite-size pieces (leave skin on the squash). Tip all the veg into a baking tray, add garlic, 2 tbsp oil and seasoning, then mix and roast for 20 mins. Add onion, cumin, harissa and almonds. Roast for another 20 mins, then cool.
- Put couscous into a large bowl, pour over the stock, cover, then set aside for 10 mins. Fluff up with a fork.
- In a bowl, mix zest, juice and remaining oil. Squeeze garlic pulp from skins into the bowl, mash well and fold in the mint. Pour over the veg, then toss with the couscous.
Bombay Potato Frittata (317 calories per serving)
Frittatas are perfect make-ahead lunches. Packed full of flavour, this Indian version is also low in calories and fat.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 new potatoes, sliced into 5mm rounds
- 100g baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp black mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- ½ green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 3 tbsp fat-free Greek yogurt
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 6 mins, or until tender. Drain and leave to steam-dry. Meanwhile, put the spinach in a heatproof bowl with 1 tbsp water. Cover and microwave for 3 mins on high, or until wilted.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a medium non-stick frying pan. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 10 mins until golden and sticky. Stir in the garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin, mustard seeds and turmeric, and cook for 1 min more. Add the tomatoes and wilted spinach and cook for another 3 mins, then add the potatoes.
- Heat the grill to medium. Lightly beat the eggs with the chilli and most of the fresh coriander and pour over the potato mixture. Grill for 4-5 mins, or until golden and just set, with a very slight wobble in the middle.
- Leave to cool, then slice into wedges. Mix the mango chutney, yogurt and remaining fresh coriander together. Serve with the frittata wedges.
Sesame Chicken Noodles (505 calories per serving)
Whip up a tasty and healthy chicken and noodle salad for lunch using our pre-made roast chicken recipe
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 roasted garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp chilli flakes, plus extra to serve
- 200g cooked rice noodles
- 200g leftover roast chicken
- 1 roasted aubergine
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ cucumber, seeds removed and cut into half moons
- ½ small pack mint, roughly chopped
- Whisk together the tahini, lime juice, soy sauce, flesh from the roasted garlic, sesame oil and chilli flakes in a large bowl, adding enough water to make a creamy dressing.
- Add the noodles, leftover roast chicken, aubergine and carrot and toss everything to combine, then gently fold through the cucumber and mint. Divide between two containers, then sprinkle over a few extra chilli flakes to serve.
A balanced diet helps you get the very most from your 30-minute Curves workout.